NNSA Los Alamos Office of Acquisition and Project Management – Environmental, Safety and Health Assistance
Sigma Science provides technical support to the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) at the Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) under a $4 million five-year contract awarded July 1, 2018. The core contract scopes include the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) and nuclear safety support for facility construction, modifications, and upgrades. Sigma Science is the lead (prime) contractor, and the Sigma team includes TechSource, Inc. Under this contract, Sigma Science provides three staff personnel for program management, nuclear safety, and technical support. Sigma Science supports activities through the NNSA Los Alamos Office of Acquisition and Project Management (NA-95) to the NNSA LANL Field Office (NA-LA).
Key work scopes include:
- Support the planning for NNSA to implement their strategy for modernizing plutonium capabilities at LANL.
- Prepare project-specific NEPA strategy documents for proposed LANL plutonium infrastructure projects.
- Support preparation of new and supplemental NEPA documents.
- Assess NNSA’s current NEPA strategy for consistency with the contractor’s (TRIAD National Security, LLC) proposed activities.
- Support the NNSA Los Alamos Field Office (NA-LA) with safety basis and related document reviews and approvals.
- Participate in integrated project teams (IPTs).
- Support safety basis activities related to sub-projects, including:
- Los Alamos Plutonium Pit Production Project (LAP4) for decontamination and decommissioning (D&D): 30Base (30B) and 30Reliable (30R).
- PF-400 Radioactive Laboratory Utility Office Building (RLUOB) Documented Safety Analysis (DSA) and Technical Safety Requirements (TSRs).
- Waste Characterization, Reduction, and Repackaging Facility (WCRRF).
- Technical Integrated Project Reviews (TIPRs) for the Plutonium Equipment Installation-2 (PEI2) and RLUOB Recategorization to a Hazard Category 3 (HC-3) nuclear facility.
Key contract accomplishments include:
- Revised the Environmental Assessment (EA) water resources section for the LANL proposed Electrical Power Capacity Upgrade (EPCU) Project.
- Participated in the LANL Sitewide Environmental Impact Statement (SWEIS) planning process.
- Led the NA-LA Safety Basis Review Team (SBRT) for reviewing and approving the Preliminary Document Safety Analysis (PDSA) for WCRRF facility use and LAP4 D&D and size reduction.